Recipe and photo from Hembakningsrådet
Photo: Agneta Thorsén
Mini muffins with saffron and gingerbread frosting.
0.5 g of saffron (1 sachet)
3/4 dl milk
1 1/2 dl sugar cane
2 dl flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
Frosting & Garnish:
50 g butter (room temperature)
1 dl powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp gingerbread spice
silver beads or white pearls
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Let the butter melt in a saucepan. Mix in the saffron and milk.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until white and fluffy. Mix in the butter mixture.
3. Mix flour and baking powder and mix gently into the egg mixture. Add the lemon peel.
4. Place the mini muffin cups on a muffin pan. Tip the batter into the cups. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
5. Stir the butter and icing sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg yolk and stir it flat. Mix in the gingerbread spice.
6. Click or pipe the butter cream on cupcakes. Decorate with silver bullets.
Instead of gingerbread spice in the butter cream add lemon zest or cardamom.